Sharon Paints Icons

The journey and reflections of an iconographer-in-training

Monday, October 16, 2006

Reflections on Mother of God

The Mother of God Hodigitria would not have been the icon I would have chosen to write after the Baptism of the Lord icon. One reason being, that I had already written the Tenderness Mother of God icon pictured here. Because of the festal icon size of my panel (13X16) I was thinking another Baptism of the Lord ore perhaps a Pantocrator (Jesus with the book of the Gospels). However, Charles seemed pretty confident that this was the next icon for me.

I have spent time in reflection and prayer in the writing of this icon. Mary was asked to bear Christ into the world in a manner not of her own choosing. "Let it be done to me according to Your will". (Yes, the Annunciation is also in my near future). What are ways that God is asking me to present Christ to the world? I am trying to keep the eyes of my heart open to the ways that are not of my own choosing, but no less the will of God.

3 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Bora said...

I'm glad you're posting again. And glad for a teacher like Charles who seems to have a strong sense of the right next step for you.

Bearing Christ to the world...I hope the praying and mulling goes deep into your heart and soul...and out your fingers!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger sharonhi said...

Thanks Bora. I appreciate your prayers. I am both mulling and praying. Did you know that when one makes paint, there is a tool called a muller? It grinds the pigment and mixes it with the solvent (water for egg tempera).

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sharon,

lovely blog - i haven't really had a good chance to look it over in detail, but i look forward to it.

i'm grateful for your long faithfulness and for the blessing that God has wrought through you. hope this next chapter of your life is characterized by a growing sense of His closeness and of adventure! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home