Saint Nick finished

Most importantly I had to inscribe the icon. The icon becomes an icon when you have finished inscribing it. The instructors were Russian and instructed us on how to inscribe the icon in Russian(see previous post). I did not want to do that for several reasons. One, I am not Russian and unlike Bruce Hansen, do not even read Russian(although I am supposedly going to learn enough Russian to read icons). Second the inscription in Russian is very cultural and does not make that much sense to me. Third, I wanted the icon to read in a meaningful way to me and 99% of the people who would ever see it. So, while many of my classmates were diligently working on the Russian script, I pondered how I would inscribe it. And, of course asked the American director of the course a lot of questions (hey, I'm an external processor). BTW, the Russian translation is Saint Nicholas, Wonder Worker by the head of St. Nicholas and the translation of the text in the book of the gospels is "at that time, Jesus was standing in a flat place...", the introduction to the sermon on the plains, referencing the fact that people were coming to Jesus because of the healings and miraculous works he was performing. And, St. Nicholas is known most prominently in Russia as a wonder worker or miracle worker.
I talked with Charles the next week about how to inscribe it. Charles of course had painted St. Nicholas before. It was a very helpful conversation. He said at this time, since I was painting it for use in my own private worship, the inscription in the book and the saint's name should be meaningful to me. When he painted an icon of St. Nicholas for a congregation in Alaska he inscribed it in English and Klingot (Native Alaskan dialect) with the inscription in the book of the gospels of "let your light shine so they will see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven" or something like that.
St. Nicholas came from a wealthy family and was very devout. His parents died suddenly when he was a teenager and he sold all that he had and became a priest. He was led by the Spirit in a miraculous way to a church and region and was made Bishop of Myra at a very young age. His life was marked by acts of compassion and justice. Of course, the modern day Santa Claus was loosely modeled after him. The story that is most associated with him and where the whole Santa Claus present thing comes from is that there were these three daughters in a poor family. Saint Nicholas found out that two daughters were going to be sold into slavery so the third would have a dowry. In the middle of the night, Saint Nicholas delivered anonymously a sack of gold. He subsequently delivered two sacks of gold for each other daughter.
After some prayer, the inscription that seemed most meaningful to me for his name was descriptive Saint Nicholas, Bishop of Myra. Also, he was a bishop but acted on the behalf of the poor and disenfranchised. The inscription on the book of the gospels, I felt, should also reflect that compassion and Christlike virtue I hope to acquire and embody someday. So, I chose, or rather the Spirit chose for me Matthew 25:37-40
I talked with Charles the next week about how to inscribe it. Charles of course had painted St. Nicholas before. It was a very helpful conversation. He said at this time, since I was painting it for use in my own private worship, the inscription in the book and the saint's name should be meaningful to me. When he painted an icon of St. Nicholas for a congregation in Alaska he inscribed it in English and Klingot (Native Alaskan dialect) with the inscription in the book of the gospels of "let your light shine so they will see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven" or something like that.
St. Nicholas came from a wealthy family and was very devout. His parents died suddenly when he was a teenager and he sold all that he had and became a priest. He was led by the Spirit in a miraculous way to a church and region and was made Bishop of Myra at a very young age. His life was marked by acts of compassion and justice. Of course, the modern day Santa Claus was loosely modeled after him. The story that is most associated with him and where the whole Santa Claus present thing comes from is that there were these three daughters in a poor family. Saint Nicholas found out that two daughters were going to be sold into slavery so the third would have a dowry. In the middle of the night, Saint Nicholas delivered anonymously a sack of gold. He subsequently delivered two sacks of gold for each other daughter.
After some prayer, the inscription that seemed most meaningful to me for his name was descriptive Saint Nicholas, Bishop of Myra. Also, he was a bishop but acted on the behalf of the poor and disenfranchised. The inscription on the book of the gospels, I felt, should also reflect that compassion and Christlike virtue I hope to acquire and embody someday. So, I chose, or rather the Spirit chose for me Matthew 25:37-40
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
I boiled it down to "whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did it for Me" Below is the finished icon of St. Nicholas- thank you for your prayers.

7 Comments:
Sharon,
your skills as an iconographer are growing exponentially. Really, this is remarkable.
put up some of the photos I took of you working on the Mother of God. I think people would appreciate seeing you at work.
also, your post are so...er...pithy... what's the rush? why not make them a little longer? ;)
Thanks Bora. Although the style of the icon is not what I aspire to, I feel that the course was incredibly helpful to me, with tons of transferrable knowledge and skills. And, it was really helpful to have taken the course and have another tradition to draw from. And, one of the most useful things about the course is that it made me paint full time for six days. My painting skills increased dramatically just from that.
Do you think people don't comment that much because they are exhausted by just reading my entries? Have I ever been known to be pithy? Anyway, isn't brevity the soul of _wit_? Hmmm...I'll try next time.
Nah, I'm just teasing you about the post lengths. I don't think it has anything to do with why someone may or may not comment.
It's just kind of blog-o-sphere culture--comment if you feel like it. In general, I notice that people often chime in on "lighter" posts--food, stories, sports. It may be that people like to "quip" more than make a serious comment. Maybe too much pressure in the latter.
Anyway, you're readers are reading, and are happy when you post. :)
i agree with Bora -- the icon is beautiful! and i love the scripture you chose. (the one charles used for his st. nicholas icon -- "let your light so shine before others that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven" -- is the quote i used in my college yearbook entry.) i think people don't comment coz they worry what others will think about what they write. as you can tell, i have no such reservations.
Sharon,
The inscription really makes the icon. S. Claus goes from being a cultural icon to an icon of generosity, someone to emulate. Maybe I'll chuck my tree and just put up the ion.
I agree with the comments about the inscription. Actually, my choices around the inscription were the strongest parts of the execution of this icon. I guess that makes sense since, and I say this in all humility, my prayer and spiritual life is stronger than my painting skills. But, besides the spiritual component of the inscription, also visually the inscription is well balanced (although I think the letters on the book of the gospels could be much better individually).
My painting, my drawing is still weak. Maybe not to my writing, musical and pastoral friends, but to an iconographer. Let's just say neither my Russian teachers nor Charles jumped up and down regarding the execution. I think "it's OK" or "is OK" was the standard comment during the course and "good, good, see you painted this yourself" was my shining moment in the class. Charles main positive comment was about the inscription.
PDana, you are hardcore- I wonder if you could find a 6ft icon of St. Nicholas to replace your tree.
Post a Comment
<< Home