Sharon Paints Icons

The journey and reflections of an iconographer-in-training

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Jour 3

Today was an interesting day. We start each day with Messe, Pere Igor presiding- isn’t that cool? I have finally gotten my hands on a Missalette, so I can follow along and understand the readings. Today, I put on the halo or in French “aureole”. It is always a learning experience. We used an adhesive or mordant that I have never used- mixion de duror (?). I am not sure what is in it. It dries very quickly, so the application of gold is a quick process. Maybe an hour altogether. It was fun, too because I was doing it with one of the English speakers in the class. Then it was time to open up the icon or put on the first colors. I am a little confused because I was under the impression that Pere Igor preferred transparent colors, but everyone is putting very dark and opaque colors on. I feel like when in France…but then everyone seems to be doing their own thing. So, I decide to do my own thing. I am sure Pere Igor will let me know from across the room if I am doing something sacrosanct.



This is where my SJ friends would be going nuts. It causes me to ponder. A. Do people think it strange that I am taking this stage here when I don’t speak French? B. Am I a nuisance to the helpers who do not speak French? C. What does Pere Igor understand about me? Even when he asks me a question or says something, and vice versa, I am not sure we are communicating accurately.

Sharon: Do you think I should add something here? (There is an empty spot on the icon) And, I point to a different icon of St. John that has more plants and some rocks.
Pere Igor: No, I think you should leave it dark. What I was saying was not for you. (Sharon is thinking “you were saying something?”)
Sharon: Should I start with the face? (Usually you start with the skin color)
Pere Igor: I think you have not done uh uh…
Sharon: St. John before?
Pere Igor: yes, yes- do wings
Sharon: I have done the baptism that has St. John- show him icon. (confused look on his face- really?)
Pere Igor: I don’t know.
Sharon walks away.

This is good. It is like, being in my studio alone with no one to externally process with, but I still have companionship. And, there are people with more experience around to keep me from doing something really horrible. It is good practice for when I go to this on-going icon workshop in San Francisco. It meets on Sunday afternoons twice a month.

I have six days left, maybe five b/c I need to let my icon dry. I will try even more to watch and learn.

3 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Loaves and Fishes said...

You sound a bit frustrated BUT the icon looks good -- outstanding wings, good proportions on the figure and expression.

Since you apparently have access to a computer, take a look at the Atelier Sant Andre website. Its put together by Pere Igor's students and explains step by step his approach to painting icons (you can see how they apply the paint, for example.)

And the website is in English (as well as French,German,etc...

Glad you found a missalete to aid you in following the Divine Liturgy.

Have a good and blessed Jour 3.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger sharonhi said...

Well, I was using a classmate's missalette and then I thought I found one in the church, but it was for June. I guess it is not economical to change the cover for every month. I am a little frustrated, but not terminally. Thanks for your advice. And, I am glad you like the drawing- pas mal? I was going to ask your opinion. Please keep your honest feedback coming. I got scolded today about my puddling technique and the state of my work space. Let's just say I wasn't being too orderly and neat. Also, Pere Igor gave me his piercing stare when I inadvertently pointed a laser light into his face. I got all the bad news out of the way in this response, so I will report the good news in the next post. And, about the website- they don't really go by the step by step. I have that memorized. But, maybe they do the highlighting the same. And, I have finished Jour 4.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Ryan Park Grant said...

Thanks for letting me know you were back blogging. I was blessed to catch up all the way back to Austin. Looking forward to seeing you and St. John when you return. Peace,

--R

P.S. I can't help myself: I'm so glad you are painting the Baptist's aureole instead of his areola. Though I suppose it's hard to get a decent camel's hair shirt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home