The assist is done. And, the highlights on the face, hands and feet as well. We revisited a technique called "plov" for the highlights. It's a wet on wet technique, literally translated from the Russian as "melted color". I like it and used it on my first icon under C's instruction, but not since. It makes more sense now. The technique is fast by nature and really cuts the highlighting time. It's a little tricky handling the wet paint, but has a nice effect overall. I'm thinking that I will use it in the future. Tomorrow we will do the final highlights on the red parts, the faces, etc. Halos and inscriptions. Can we do it? I head home early on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to seeing the family.

4 Comments:
that is such a cool studio. I can see how it would inspire your home set up.
yes, I am inspired to work on my studio/clean it out.
I have completed the icon for the most part, but still have the border to work on. So, I am afraid that I will have to post the finished icon when I am back in Berkeley.
So, how did the border turn out?
I broke down and gilded the halo on the Korsun Mother of God that I was working on while you were in Juneau.
Last night I did the gold assist (on egg tempera, no less!) With liberal applications of talcum powder(and a 'mask' of tracing paper over the face and hands) it's not too difficult. Next time we work together (God willing!) we'll do some more gilding and assist with egg tempera.
Have also begun the cartoon for St.Olga of Alaska (it turns out that she isn't quite canonized yet, but is close.)
The border turned out OK. I also brightened the highlights a little in certain areas and am fixing Jesus' eyes a little. I trying to even out the tone for the baptism icon and the pantocrator that I have begun before I put it aside to work on Anna and Joachim.
Post a Comment
<< Home