Sharon Paints Icons

The journey and reflections of an iconographer-in-training

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ahhh..Paris

Bonjour! Monica and I are obviously here in Paris. We both independently abandoned a shuttle plan we had from the airport. And we f0und our way by RER train and Metro. Thankfully, the up and down was minimal and what a deal! I have to say, if you want a really favorable first look and impression at Paris, it won't happen on the RER.

I arrived first and was able to grab lunch with my friend R from college. He spends a month in Paris most summers. You will be seeing more of him.

Monica arrived and we quickly made our way to the executive lounge which has food, snacks and drinks all day. Full breakfast, light lunch fare and light dinner as well. Great perk. We have a view of the Eiffel tower from our room. We headed out down the Champs Elysee which was terribly obscured, obstructed and restricted in preparation for Bastille Day. Note: do not go to Paris Bastille week if you can help it, which we couldn't. But we made it to the Tuileres and the Louvre which was great. Had a very late dinner and drink and bed.



Bought our museum pass for 6 days. Musee Rodin- awesome! Better than I remember it which is saying something. Sigh. Highlights were many, but I loved how the Burghers of Calais were deconstructed in the garden.


And, new to me was understanding the process of Rodin's bronzes which is displayed and explained in the case below- a highlight for me since I was always confused by the plaster models he made.


We met R. for great falafel in the Jewish quarter. Quai Branly for primitive art, Hilton for drinks and iphone recharge, dinner at one of R's favorite restaurants and home and bed. Versailles today! Au revoir!



3 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Bora said...

Does "R" stand for...Rodin? Heh heh. Sounds like you're off to a great start. What fun!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Je vous souhaite bonne chance en Versailles, mon amie. :) Keep blogging if you can!

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger D said...

I want that falafel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home