Sharon Paints Icons

The journey and reflections of an iconographer-in-training

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Illuminated beginnings

Thanks to those who may have kept interest in my blog even though I haven't posted in a long time and also to those newly tuning in. I am resurrecting my blog at this time for two reasons:

1) Now that both my kids are in school I can actually get into my studio every day . I didn't want the tension of spending an equivalent amount of time blogging as painting. Hence, no blogging for the last year. Praise God!
2) I am taking what I think will be both an interesting and helpful, maybe even incredible studio class on painting/writing illuminated manuscripts. Ahhh, new beginnings.

I am in Austin, TX staying with my best friend from 3rd grade who I'll call "M". Her husband and she have two kids (4, 5 months) and they just bought a new house which they are moving into on Friday while I am still here. I will spend six nights here at their old house and two nights at their new house. It's generous of them to let me stay during such a transitional time and I am grateful. I've had a great time visiting with M and the rest of her family M, M, and M (yes, everyone in the family's names begin with M).

The course begins tomorrow in downtown Austin and is being hosted by an iconographer, but taught by a guest instructor. Writing is a big part of painting icons- it is one of the reasons icons are referred to as being written rather than painted. Anyway, I am a self-taught calligrapher, but that seems not to have helped me with my writing skills. I am not pleased with how the actual writing part has gone in the majority of my icons. I am looking forward to learning from a master and applying it to my icon writing. Here are a couple of examples of illuminated manuscripts. As you can see, there is a clear overlap between icon writing and illuminated manuscripts. I don't know much about the course, but I'll let you know tomorrow what exactly we'll be working on. Thanks for praying for me.

3 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Bora said...

Glad your blog is back!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger marguerite said...

enjoy your time in austin with all the m's and the beautiful illuminated manuscripts!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger D said...

looking forward to following along and SEEING your work and development in action!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home