Sharon Paints Icons

The journey and reflections of an iconographer-in-training

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Alive and well in Juneau

B and I left SFO the same day for our separate artistic endeavors. We both said we were going to blog. One of us has been successful. I am finally able to sit down and think about blogging. Physically, I am feeling funky. I have been in Alaska about four times now and each time, I get here so hungry and tired. Anyway, I took my first run of the trip today. I feel a little better, but tomorrow I am getting a massage. I have been increasingly achy and sore each day. My back is killing me from all the sitting and standing I think.

The time has been good so far. C and I are working on an icon of the Holy Family. The Holy Family is a western icon. In other words, a new icon. The Eastern Church which we draw most of our models in iconography does not have an icon of the Holy Family. So, we are a little on our own to work with the theology and Scripture regarding the Holy Family- Jesus, Mary and Joseph, staying true to the traditions of liturgy and iconography. It's a dicey gig. It has been edifying to contemplate the Holy Family. Here is what we came up with. I chose to position Jesus differently than C. We'll see if I end up liking it better.




















My panel is on the left and C's is on the right. We are in the process of painting the lines. Tomorrow we will open up the icon- lay down the initial colors.

It has been fun to connect with C and his family. They are great and very hospitable. Today we went to an ecumenical lunch for local ministers. C gave a presentation on praying with icons which was very good.

Finally, I watched the last six skaters in the women's Olympic figure-skating finals. Awesome. The best finals I have seen ever. Now I am going to bed.

6 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Bora said...

looks like you're off to a good start. hope you are relieved of your aches and pains soon. I've been praying for you.

I've completely tuned out the Olympics, but now I see that Kim Yu-na won the gold and I'm sorry I missed it. All of Korea is in a swoon, I'm sure. Tae Han Min Guk! (clap clap clap)

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Feel better soon. I'm praying for you and our other artist B. Pray that would you know deep joy and communion with God as you paint icons.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Bora said...

it's okay to refer to me by name. I am not (yet) hiding from the law.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger marguerite said...

thanks for blogging - like i told you earlier, i LOVE images/objects of the Holy Family but they are so hard to find! so glad you're doing this. it'll be great to see what you've finished when you return.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger sharonhi said...

I am feeling better today. Thanks for the prayers, comments and the encouragement. I had a massage today and it was helpful.

It was a good day's work and I will post my progress. It _was_ a prayerful day redrawing the lines and opening up the icon. Thanks Lynn!

I am appreciating the Holy Family more each day and getting comfortable with the image in a good way. Hope you like it Marguerite!

Keep tuning in!

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger sharonhi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home