Sharon Paints Icons

The journey and reflections of an iconographer-in-training

Thursday, October 08, 2009

reflections on illuminations

I am grateful for the time in Austin. Upon reflection, I feel it was as much about significant time with my friend as it was about the class. Maybe someday you will get to see the M's mini-estate.

Here are the two finished illuminated letters that I came out with. It seems so less substantial than coming out with a completed icon, but I worked hard on them. The "T" is an acanthus or turning leaf design and the "G" is white vine. The class was an excellent beginner course for illuminated letters. I walked away with a much greater understanding and appreciation of illuminations. However, I am still wondering how God will work this course out in my calling.

The last day, the instructor did introduce lettering which I found very interesting. I was the only student who worked on lettering that day (although there were a couple of calligraphers in the class) so I felt like I got a private lesson. I know that calligraphy will be something I will work on throughout my life one way or another. The instructor was very complimentary and encouraging of my lettering saying she expected to see great things from me and referring me to many resources in the Bay Area. I am a self-taught (read problematic) calligrapher and Valerie started to fill in the gaps for me. It was great. Though I would be surprised if I do anything great in the world of calligraphy. But, who knows?

Upon my return, I have found that I am much more attentive, patient and even somewhat more skillful in working out the lettering in the current icon I am finishing. So, it's good to have an immediate benefit.

Thanks for tuning in.

3 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger D said...

Great work, Sharon! Can't wait to see more fruit of your learnings.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice work, friend...PhilBD

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger sharonhi said...

Thanks, friends! I'll keep you posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home