Jour 4
Today, most of us opened up the icon- we decided on and applied the base layer of color. For the five who are doing Christ, the colors are more or less decided for them.

First the good news: I figured out the colors quickly and I am happy with most of them. I learned a good exercise of painting washes next to each other on a blank piece of paper. It was actually very helpful. Jeannette, whom I gather is the color expert and also extremely sweet, approved of my choices. Everyone likes the green I made for the majority of the background. I also have been trying to talk to the English speakers more. Pere Igor complimented my colors and liked my little sheet. He keeps saying the icon will be marvelous. It makes me a little nervous when he says that – recall the eraser incident. It is inspiring listening to Pere Igor talk about his mission to help the Eastern and Western Church reach a common ground and how he believes the icon is the way he is called to promote that. Pere Igor is 87 and there is nothing more inspiring than listening to someone of that many years who is doing exactly what God has created him for speak with the passion and authority that goes with it.
I am also continuing to deal with my ego. It’s a mercy not speaking French in a way. It really makes me accept the reality of being a learner 100%. It is difficult to try and parse out what you know and don’t for everyone when you can’t even say some of the most basic sentences or express a basic thought.
The bad news: Well, you can just read my response to Charles in the last post.
I am saying the Jesus prayer at every meal and throughout the day. Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner. It’s humbling being in a place like this BY CHOICE and still feeling the temptation to complain.
BTW Charles, St. Fiatre is given to some church in Paris- it did raise a chuckle from Pere Igor. Pere Igor is having us pray this Slavic liturgy with this impossible chant- sound familiar?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home